Growing influences: If you would like to risk an influence trait you can gain one extra trait in the area that you have grown. The chance of success for a grow is 35% that you succeed and gain another trait, 30% chance that nothing happens, and 35% chance that you backfire and lose the trait that you tried to grow.
Spying with Influences: An influence spy allows you to gain information on the area of influence that you are spying with. This will give you knowledge of everything that is happening with that level and under of the influence that you are using. If you want to spy on other areas of influence then use your contacts. Spying has a 40% chance of success and only a 15% chance of backfire. If you backfire in a spy you will lose one trait from the area that you are using to spy with.
Stealing with Influences: You can steal someone elseís influences from only the area that you control. Stealing Influences has a 30% chance of success and a 15% chance of backfire, but if you backfire you will lose one trait from the area that you attacked with. If you succeed you will gain the person that you attacked trait in the area that you attacked.
Destroying Influences: This is the most brutal way to attack someoneís influences. Destroy attacks eliminate one trait of your enemyís influences. Please note that there are no more block actions and destroys happen immediately. The chance of success for a Destroy attack is 25% and the chance of backfire is still 15% but if you backfire with a destroy attack then you lose half the number of traits rounded down that you attacked with.
Obscuring Influences: Obscuring your influences is the best way to defend yourself from attack. Your influences canít be stolen or destroyed if they donít know what they are. Obscures have a 40% chance of working and no chance of backfire. But they can only obscure levels equal to or under the number of traits spent obscuring an area.
Assisting Influences: Assisting influence actions work by increasing the chance of success and lowing the chance of backfire for an area Assisted. Assistís add between 1%and 3% to any one areaís action but never reduce to chance of backfire below a 10% (i.e. 90 to 100 is always a backfire). Some actions may require assists to work and will help that areaís action succeed All assists should be written as they assist one primary action. (I.e. Industry 4 utilize build machine shop, finance 3 assist industry buy giving money, bureaucracy 5 assist industry buy rezoning area for industrial use.) In the above utilize Industry is the Primary area of influence but it is being assisted buy finance and bureaucracy, the player would have a 66% chance of success.
Utilizing Influences: Utilizing influences are as stated in the book and have a 50% chance of success and no chance of Backfire. (See pages 97 to 104 in the Main 3rd edition rule book)